Internship Duration: 8 months
Internship Fee: €2,495 (discount of €200)
Upcoming SCIP Dates:
KG Elite Performance's Strength & Conditioning Internship Program (SCIP) is a fast track S&C coach development program intended to provide participants with the skills and knowledge to work in elite sport. It is the first of its kind in both Republic and Northern Ireland, an internship which provides world class mentoring as well as an internationally recognized professional qualification in strength & conditioning. The SCIP is aimed at sport scientists, physiotherapists, athletic trainers, personal trainers and coaches.
Based in Queens Sport, you will gain work experience with all of Queens University Belfast (QUB) elite level athletes. These include QUB's Sigerson GAA team, AIL Rugby team, Hockey team, Soccer team, Rowing team and Athletics team. It is during this period where you will work alongside and be mentored by a world class S&C coach, Mike McGurn. Interns will get the opportunity to observe and facilitate Mike's sessions, and then progress onto leading and coaching S&C sessions with the various teams and athletes from QUB.
Interns will also gain exposure to different aspects of the industry including performance S&C coaching, athlete rehabilitation, individualized S&C programming for various sports, periodization, nutrition and recovery strategies for sports performance. Throughout every step of the internship, Mike McGurn will be on hand to guide you and provide you with the most up to date, scientifically proven, application based training available.
S&C Professional Education
As part of your SCIP, you will look to attain a National Certificate in Strength & Conditioning (NCSC), which is Internationally recognised by the NSCA, NASM, ISSA, ACE and PTA Global. The NCSC course is split into a Phase 1 and Phase 2 course, both four days in duration, followed by a written and practical exam. During the course you will learn be immersed in strength and conditioning education to improve your theoretical knowledge, demonstration skills and coaching application.
S&C performance content from the NCSC course includes but is not limited to:
- Functional screening and corrective exercises
- Olympic lifting
- Acceleration and max velocity sprinting
- Agility for games based athletes
- Energy system development (ESD)
- Self myofascial release (SMR)
- Active assisted isolated stretching (AAIS)
- Session design protocols and considerations
- Periodisation strategies for different level athletes
- Attain an Internationally recognized qualification in Strength & Conditioning
- Work alongside and learn from a world class strength & conditioning coach
- Develop technical and practical skills through working with elite athletes from a variety of sports
- Learn to plan, prepare, lead and deliver world class S&C services to various athletes from different sports
- Enhance your CV through work experience and a Professional qualification in strength & conditioning
- Attain a reference from your mentor enhancing your future employment
Strength & Conditioning Internship Program (SCIP) Prospectus
Please click on the link to download the SCIP Prospectus 2015
- You must have completed or are currently enrolled in a Sport Science/Exercise Science/Physiotherapy course
- You must be a qualified personal trainer or fitness instructor
- You must be currently involved in sport or have participated to an elite level
- Knowledge of anatomy, biomechanics, exercise physiology and nutrition are essential
- Must be able to commit to 6-8 hours of weekly S&C session time with your mentor